MASTERFUL SOUND, EXTRAORDINARY CREATIVE POWER
Filled with newly developed BOSS technology, the DD-500 is the most powerful and versatile stompbox delay ever created. This incredible sound-creation toolbox offers 12 distinctive delay modes with exceptional audio quality, plus deep editing controls, a graphic display, patch memories, MIDI, and much more. From basic echo to dead-on emulations of classic delays to incredibly lush spatial textures that take your breath away, the DD-500 will launch your music places you never thought possible.
DD-500 Version 2 Software: New and Improved Control Parameters, Routing Options, and Effects for Increased Performance Flexibility
The feature-packed Version 2 software update brings powerful new performance enhancements and unparalleled flexibility to the DD-500. Even more control has been added, with an improved A/B simultaneous mode for advanced routing as well as new Series and Parallel modes. Five new effect types have been added to the current delay algorithms, plus many updated parameters common to all modes. The update also offers lots of user-requested features, including additional MIDI controls, new modulation types, a feedback loop function for inserting external effects, adjustable input and output levels, selectable EQ position, and more.
- Studio-level sound with class-leading 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
- 12 versatile delay modes from vintage to modern deliver unlimited creative possibilities
- Unrivaled real-time expression with customizable control settings for onboard and external switches
- Graphic LCD for easy, intuitive operation while performing and editing
- Onboard patch memories and hands-on controls
- Equipped with a built-in Phrase Looper, MIDI, USB, and more
- Selectable buffered-bypass or true-bypass operation
- Runs on four AA-size batteries or PSA-series AC adapter
- Dedicated editor software available
DD-500 Version 2 Software Newly Added Features
- Improved A/B Simul mode with more flexible control and input/output options
- Five newly added effects, including vintage Binson Echorec 2, touch-responsive filter delay, and more
- Additional detailed tone-editing parameters such as feedback damp and modulation mode
- More flexible routing options with the new Insert Loop function, selectable EQ insertion position, expanded independent delay connection modes, and more
- Enhanced effects with extended parameters and sound quality refinements, including stereo pitch shifters and overtone effects for Shimmer mode, effect targets for Slow Attack mode, and more
Twelve Versatile Delay Modes and Deep Editing Options
With the DD-500's 12 delay modes, you can create any delay sound you can imagine, and then some. Everything you need is here, from warm, gritty vintage delays and tape echo to complex modern delay lines that employ pitch shifting, filtering, and other unique processing. With the hands-on knobs, it's easy to shape essential parameters and create great sounds immediately. Each delay type also includes a semi-parametric four-band EQ, modulation, ducking, and many other parameters, allowing you to dive deep and refine tones with maximum precision.
Unparalleled Sound Quality
In the DD-500, every delay mode has been carefully crafted for a unique sonic personality and highly musical tones at every setting, realized by 32-bit AD/DA and 32-bit/96 kHz processing throughout. And while the delay effects are high-end digital, the DD-500 supports analog pass-through on the straight guitar tone, and you also have your choice of buffered- or true-bypass operation. Along with strengthening the analog dry signal, buffered bypass has the added benefit of enabling carryover, so delay trails are not cut off unnaturally when turning the effect off or switching patches.
Advanced Features for Stage and Studio Use
In the world of sophisticated delay stomps, the DD-500 stands alone in practical usability. The large, integrated LCD fully supports the pedal's immense capabilities, giving you clear visibility of delay time, patch ID, and more on one screen, plus sane navigation for detailed parameter tweaks, naming, and system management. And via USB, it's simple to connect to your computer for remote editing and patch backup with the DD-500 Editor. MIDI I/O opens up many additional control options for advanced setups with effects switching systems and other devices.
Intensive Real-Time Control
With its freely assignable controls, the DD-500 delivers unmatched creative expression and performance flexibility. By default, the A, B, and TAP/CTL switches offer intuitive control for two patches, bypass, bank selection, tap tempo, and more. However, they can be customized to operate in alternate ways, such as providing top-level access to three different delay patches, or allowing you to use two patches at once for layered delay sounds. Instead of tap tempo, you're able to assign the TAP/CTL switch to various real-time functions like Warp or Twist for a wide range of expressive effects. Even more parameters can be manipulated via MIDI commands or by connecting an optional expression pedal or external switches.
DD-500 Delay Modes
•Standard-Clear digital delay.
•Analog-Emulates classic analog "BBD" delays like the BOSS DM series.
•Tape-Emulates the warm sound of tape-based delay units, including the Maestro Echoplex, Binson Echorec 2, and the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo.
•Vintage Digital-Emulations of early digital delays from the 1980s, including Roland's famous SDE-2000 and SDE-3000 rack units and the BOSS DD-2, the original stompbox digital delay.
•Dual-Two different delay lines that can be connected in series, parallel, or three different A/B independent modes.
•Pattern-Sixteen different delay lines that can be set independently for all types of unique rhythmic effects, with Gate mode for slicer-like pattern effects.
•Reverse-Backwards delay for cool psychedelic effects and other unique tones.
•SFX-"Special effects" delays with highly unique sound characters.
•Shimmer-Pitch-shifted delays with stereo pitch-shifter and overtone modes for lush, heavenly textures.
•Filter-Delay with selectable sweeping or touch-responsive dynamic filter types.
•Slow Attack-Ethereal delays that fade in with playing dynamics.
•Tera Echo-Spacious, animated ambience effect derived from the innovative BOSS TE-2 pedal.
*The product names mentioned on this page are registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective owners. These names are used because it is the most practical way of describing the sounds that are simulated.
DD-500 Assignable Control Functions
The following functions can be assigned to the DD-500's onboard TAP/CTL switch and/or optional external footswitches. These assignments are stored as part of a patch.
•Tap-Set the delay in time with a song's tempo.
•Hold-The delay's feedback is held continuously while the switch is pressed.
•Warp-Increases the delay's feedback and level simultaneously for powerful expressive effects.
•Twist-Adjusts multiple delay parameters with a single press, creating wild sounds similar to twisting the panel knobs in real time.
•Moment-Outputs the delay sound only when you hold down the switch.
•Roll 1/2-Cuts the delay time to 1/2 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
•Roll 1/4-Cuts the delay time to 1/4 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
•Roll 1/8-Cuts the delay time to 1/8 of the current setting when you hold down the switch.
•Fade-Fades the delay sound in or out.
•Assign 1-8-Allows you to assign and control up to eight different delay parameters at once.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Can I use the BOSS DD-500 with an acoustic guitar?
2. How much power does the BOSS DD-500 need?
3. Does the BOSS DD-500 work well with short samples?
4. Does the BOSS DD-500 have a hold function?
5. Does the BOSS DD-500 pedal work with a trombone?
6. Does the BOSS DD-500 have a swell effect?
7. Can I store loops in the BOSS DD-500 memory?
8. Can the BOSS DD-500 play a loop in reverse?
9. Can I use the BOSS DD-500 as a reverb pedal?
10. Does the BOSS DD-500 have an undo/redo function in loop mode?
11. Can I use both “delay” presets at the same time?
12. Does the BOSS DD-500 come with the latest firmware update?
13. How many user presets can be saved in the BOSS DD-500?
14. Does the BOSS DD-500 have an expression pedal input?
15. Can I use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power with the BOSS DD-500?
16. How many amps does the BOSS DD-500 need?
17. Can I set the delay to ½ notes and whole notes on the BOSS DD-500?
18. Can the BOSS DD-500 do a stutter delay pattern?
* 0 dBu = 0.775 Vrms